Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A: My boyfriend is my boy friend :)


Now this should be fun.

My laptop is a witness to how many times I have tried to start my first blog entry, and just how many times I failed… miserably.

I guess what makes this first entry difficult to start is because I am trying really hard to dismiss the idea of writing anything about love, but I end up with ideas which suggest I do it. I have wondered, wondered, and wondered some more. And I don’t blame my best friend when she suggested writing about my turning-8-years relationship with my boyfriend. It is, after all, THE love month. But as much fun writing my ‘love story’ would be, I’d rather save that for another entry.

On the other hand, I would like to share with y’all the things I love about loving someone and being loved back. Some of you may have the same experiences as mine, while some may have even nicer ones. Feel free to share with us why you love being in a relationship and what you enjoy most about it at the comment box below. And while you choose which of your many lovely experiences you’d like to share with us, here are mine:

First, I love having a boy best friend. As a lady (I refuse to call myself a girl), it is important to have a steady set of girl friends or a really dependable girl best friend. I don’t know about other ladies, but I will not survive a week without talking to Bebi J and my other closest girl friends. It doesn’t have to be serious talk, gossip will do. :D

While girl best friend/s always come in handy with all the love life, handbags, stilettos, Hollywood chick-flick chit-chats, it’s also very helpful to have insights from someone who thinks a little differently. And I am blessed to have one in the form of my boy friend; Popo.

:)  FYI: Popo is not his real name. I call him Popo, he calls me Koko. It’s our thing. :D

I love how I can talk to him about things I also share with my friends, and hear a totally different opinion compared to what I get from my girls.  See, we can’t blame our girl friends if most of the time they take our side in an issue. They can’t help it. I think it’s the girl friend instinct. I think it is the girl friend god who tells us to stick together, never let the other one feel down. And that is what’s nice about having a boy best friend, he doesn’t always take my side, and he makes me realize when I’m wrong. And when it’s him who does that, I don’t feel offended. I feel his concern, his love.

Second, I love feeling protected. To all my friends out there with a lovey dovey, let’s all admit it. We all feel safe when we’re with them. I know we all pray that nothing ever happens that would put his ass-whooping skills to the test, but we all know deep inside us, that should anything wrong happen, there is going to be someone to protect us.

And our knight in shining armour is not only a hero on those kinds of situations. Let’s not forget, how good it feels when you have someone to wrap his arms around you when you’re crying off of frustration. When you have someone to wipe your tears off your eyes after you just had a big fight with your best friend. It’s nice knowing that when you are feeling really weak, he will be there to make you feel otherwise.

Third, I love being treated like a Princess. Now before you start raising your eyebrows, read first. Princesses in Walt Disney’s stories all had to face challenges of their own; they had to face dragons, witches, evil step moms, among many others. They had to face trials, and then after, they got to rejoice over the victory with their princes.

It’s nice to have someone to celebrate a promotion with. To have someone be genuinely happy for you after a visa application has been approved. Or to have someone text you in the middle of the night just to tell you he’s excited for your new adventures.  The feeling is great.

Fourth, I love the make up moments. My relationship is anything but perfect. If there was anything that frequently happened in the first few years of ‘Popo and Koko’, it’s that we fought. A LOT. I don’t look back on those days with a smile on my face, of course. But, I do smile (even giggle sometimes) whenever I would recall how our bad moments end up with us being even stronger.  

I have lost count as to how many times Popo and I fought, but I remember all the things we learned from every fight that we had, and all the happy memories we have after realizing we both are not willing to risk what we have just to get to prove who’s right.

I grew up understanding that there are relationships that you will value so much, you will be willing to understand everything, and sometimes even swallow your pride just so you can keep it alive. And this is one of those relationships. 

Fifth, I love having somebody to love. It’s priceless. I love knowing that no matter what I go through, there is someone who will celebrate with me if I succeed, or wrap his arms around me when I don’t (yet). I love having someone I pray for, and who prays for me. I love reading text messages making sure I already had my lunch, and reminding me to bring my umbrella. I love having someone who shares with me the same amount of excitement as we count the last few days before our anniversary. I love having someone I share my dreams with.

Writing this entry actually made me realize that there are a lot more I am grateful for. I cannot fit all of them in this entry, but I am holding on to them to keep every day a happy day!

There is never an easy journey. I’d bet a million dollars (even though I don’t have that kind of money :D ) that even relationship experts go through difficult situations with the people they love. It will always take patient and loving hearts to get through relationship storms, may it be friendly or romantic.


Spread the love! Happy heart’s!


-A (021513/7:20PM)

2 comments:

  1. Happy to see ur sharing stories! Just taking from the last part of ur entry truly it takes patience and loving hearts to get through relationships may it be lovers or friends.. Hoping our friendship will stand the storms... Miss u much baby a, lab lab

    ReplyDelete