Wednesday, February 27, 2013

J: I’ve got to go…AGAIN! + Basic packing tips for long haul flights!

How time flies! It feels like I just came back home (from Qatar) yesterday, and now it's time to leave The Philippines again. But I can't say I am not excited to leave, I am very thrilled, and I cannot wait to get the hell out of here!

Don’t get me wrong, I love coming home to the Philippines, but I am always excited to go back to Doha every time, mainly because my mom is there and it is there where our family can be complete. I have said this before; Doha feels more like my home now. It doesn't matter which country we're in, what's most important is that we're (physically) together. For me, that's all that matters.

We came home December 2012 for the holidays and also for the renewal of vows of my mom and dad. They just celebrated their silver wedding anniversary! That was really exciting not just for me, but for the whole family as well. Valentine’s Day came on a December for us ;)

March is just around the corner, but before that 9-hour flight to Doha, my dilemma is always how to fit my things in my luggage, haha! I’m a lady and travelling light is a huge problem for me! But years of going back and forth from Doha to the Philippines has taught me a thing or two when it comes to packing my stuff properly and these techniques, I am going to share with all of you. Say goodbye to the troubles of packing the wrong way.


For my Clothes:  I never fold my clothes, I roll them. With this, I can fill the space of my luggage more efficiently and then layer them. This means I can fit more clothes in, and then just fold my jeans and delicates then lay it over after.

I normally have tops and dresses that has a sheer and cotton material so it's easier to roll. But this trick does not apply for jeans or sweaters because these are too thick, it might take up more space when rolled, so it's much better to fold them and lay them over the rolled clothings.

After a few layers of rolled clothes, this is how your luggage should look like! Very compact and efficient.


For my Shoes: The last time we went to Doha, I weas literally in tears while I bid adieu to some of my shoes. But then, I am not planning to go through all that this time. I decided to pre-select what shoes to bring and then put them in a hygienic plastic wrap so I can squeeze them in my luggage and then some on my carry-on bag. ;)

I got this vacuum storage bag kit from Avon. I love it because it's super sealed and it allows the shoes to be mixed with my clean clothes.

For my Make-Up and Fragrances: I have a small hard case luggage for my makeup and perfumes, because I am more convinced that nothing bad will happen to my makeup when they’re in a tough luggage, haha! But I don’t just throw them in there, I also wrap them in a bubble wrap, because I am OC like that and to prevent leakages for the liquid and cream ones, it’s also a perfect excuse to play with those bubble wraps. ;)


I have a small luggage for my makeup, brushes, fragrances and some pieces of clothings and delicates

For my Brushes: I’ve got tons of makeup brushes at this point and I pack them a little different. I put brush guards on them to protect their bristles and then put them in a separate pouch to keep them safe because they’re like my babies and quite pricey as well! So better keep them safe, right? ;)

I got the brush guards from Suesh Makeup Toolkit and the pouch came free with the Suesh Smokey Eye Brush Kit.

For my Gadgets: I always try to bring my gadgets in my carry-on luggage but they can be too bulky, like my DSLR or my hair dryer, so I put them in my check-in luggage. I strategically put them in between clothes so they’re quite snuggled in, because we know how rough the luggage handling in the airports could be.

Among my gadgets, My DSLR and my Laptop are the most bulky. I tend to squeeze my DSLR inside my luggage or let someone else carry it for me. As with my other little gadgets, I put them in my shoulder bag :)

For the Pasalubong/Baon: My aunts/uncles and grandmas always make sure that I bring a slice of home as a pasalubong to my inay. This means tons of Goldilocks polvoron, dried mangoes,  pastillas, etc. I usually just let them do the packing for these yummy treats, and how they usually do it is by the "classic" way; wrapping them whole with packaging tape and then squeeze them in our luggage. Believe me, it works all the time! ;) The pasalubong are the last ones to get inside the luggage. :)

The very yummy pastillas

Giving the classic polvoron to anyone we know that's leaving the country is almost like a tradition in our family. It's a staple pasalubong or pabaon.

Banquet of all sorts of native knick knacks

And that is it for now. If you’re travelling anytime soon, I hope this helped and enjoy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment