Monday, May 6, 2013

A: THINGS WE CAN DO FOR OUR MOMS THIS MOTHER'S DAY! :)


I have shared in my entry about the Women I look up to how big of an influence my mom is to who I am today - like most moms are to their children, right? I can go on forever about the good qualities my mom possesses, about the lessons she taught me, and the dreams she helped me reach. She is my hero, the wind beneath my wings.

In my 24 years of existence, I have seen how my mom dedicated her life, time, and love to one else but me. She worked hard to support my studies, she put a roof over my head, food on the table, and gave me the kind of life that some parents could only dream of giving their kids. And to her and the things she did and provided me, I will be forever grateful. 

I guess it is quite obvious why the beginning of this blog entry is all about my mom. Well, if it's not so obvious, then it is because of Mother's day! I am sad that I will not get to be with her this mother's day, but if I can, then I'd make sure I make the day count and make it memorable, it is after all the ONLY day that is dedicated to moms like her. I say that because it  seems like it's always "daughter and son day", it's always us who are the focus. So let us all put our moms in the spotlight, and at least on the day dedicated to them, make them feel like the star that they are! Here are some way we can celebrate mother's day with our mommahs. Some of these things are very simple and quite ordinary, but I bet most of these things, we have never tried doing.

1.    Take her out on a fancy resto
My mom is a very simple woman. She enjoys fast food meals, eating at food centres, some good old home cooking, and you know the rest. But, I know she also enjoys some nice fine dining from time to time.

Try to look for a nice restaurant days before the day you plan to celebrate mother’s day with your mom. If you plan to take her out on the evening of mother’s day itself, then I would suggest you book reservations as well. It can be heartbreaking to get to a restaurant only to find out that you have to wait for hours just to be seated, or worse, you cannot eat there at all.

If your mom is that kind that likes to try new types of food and is game for some adventure when it comes to dishes, then take her to a place that serves meals that you know she has not tried before. It too can be a nice way to share a "first" if you too have not tried eating in that resto before. But if your mom would rather enjoy the dishes she's familiar with, then take her to a place that serves meals that she likes. Only this time, try to look for the most popular restaurants for her favorite dish/es.

2.    Take her to a spa or a salon
Basically, take her to a place where she can be pampered and experience just full relaxation.
If us young ladies deserve pampering, our moms do too! In fact, I think, they deserve it way more than we do. One nice nail salon that I can recommend is CaliforniaNalls and Day Spa at Market! Market! in Taguig City. Although the store unit is quite small, the seats are very comfortable, the ambience is relaxing, and their attendants are very pleasant.

Spas in the Philippines are almost everywhere. You can choose from the most famous ones or maybe try the newer ones and sign up for membership! You can also take mom to a dermatology clinic and let her receive pampering there while getting rid of any unwanted “stuff” on her face. Or maybe take her to a massage place and have her choose from the wide variety of types of massages that every massage place now has.

3.    Take her to the movies
This should be a no-brainer. In fact, I think, there should be a law that dictates that every daughter/son, once they can already afford to buy movie tix, should take their folks to the movies at least once a month, or whenever their parents's favorite star's movie is showing.

This mother’s day, taking our moms to the movies can be the easiest idea for anyone. If you can book tickets ahead of time by doing it online, then make sure you book tickets days before your plan date with your mother. But if not, then you can always go to the movie house early to have your seats reserved.

4.    Take her window shopping
Again, another very obvious way to say, “thank you” to mom would be to take her shopping, but if you do not yet have the means to buy her anything, then you can take her window shopping. Believe me, most moms would really appreciate the time you will spend with them. It can be a good way to catch up on the gossip with mom too! Haha!

5.    Buy her something new
I know I have mentioned in tip no.4 that if you do not yet have the power to buy mom anything new, then you can always just take her window shopping. And while it is always nice to make sure you always make time to be with your mom, once you start earning money, it will not hurt to spend a few hundreds or even thousands to buy her something nice. Something you know she’d really like. Something she would really love to have, but will never buy using her own money. Surprise her! Add in a cute ribbon and a card with a sweet message, and you have a really memorable mother’s day gift.

6.    Take her on an out-of-town trip
Instead of buying her a souvenir you bought from Palawan, why not take her there instead?  Let her shop for pasalubong she would like to give her friends. Let’s all admit it, most of us would rather go to different corners of the Philippines with our friends than parents. If that is 100% true for you, then this mother’s day is the time to at least give our "bonding with no one else but my friends" addiction  a break.

Even a quick trip to Tagaytay would be appreciated, I am positive about that. Prepare food, bring blanket to sit on (is this still how they do it there? Please correct me if I am wrong) to have that picnic aura, and take tons of pictures!

7.    Go out-of-the-country
Now this, I have already crossed out on my list. Last year, I took my mom to Singapore as my mother’s day gift to her. It was her first time to fly out-of-the-country, and I could tell from the look she had on her face that she was very nervous and excited about it. The feeling was priceless.

Now for this one, unless you stay in the country where you plan to take your mom, then you will need to save quite an amount of money. But of course, the trick is to get suggestions and gather feedback from people who have already gone to the country you’re planning to visit. Ask about their approx budget, what kind of hotel they stayed in, what kind of food they normally serve, and of course, how safe the country is.

8.    Do a make-over
I don’t know about your mom, but mine is pretty simple. She doesn't change her look that often. So this mother’s day, we can all try to do either an overall or just a simple makeover. Maybe have her have a haircut or her hair dyed. Or maybe have her try nail art, or gelish nails,  or a change in wardrobe. But remember, you are doing the makeover to make her feel happy and confident, not to make YOU feel happy about your purchases.

9.    Cook for her
If you plan to stay in and watch rented (and by “rented” I really meant illegally downloaded. Haha!) movies at home with your mom, then might as well cook for her! You can either cook a main dish or maybe go for dessert that you can dig into while you watch a movie.

If you're not very good at cooking, then you still shouldn't worry about a thing. You can always go online, or better yet go to Youtube, and search for the dish you would like to cook or the dessert you would like to make. If you stick with the measurements and the steps, you are sure to receive 5 star mark from your mom. I know I did! ;)

10. Clean the house for her
Mother’s day should also be considered as the day when our moms wouldn't need to work a muscle to do any kind of household chore. But dirt isn't going to clean itself, so what else to do but do the chores ourselves! We all may never be able to clean as nicely as our moms could, but a little sweeping and mopping inside the house would be appreciated, I bet. You can also do a little house makeover and change the positions of the furniture a bit. Place some décor that wasn’t there before, change the drapes, and arrange picture frames and other house displays.

11. Buy her something online
For people who are far from their moms just like me, we still have a way we can make our moms feel special on mother's day. Purchase a gift online! It is best to do this weeks before mother's day to make sure the delivery will not be so late or if lucky, will be exactly on mother's day. 

It is nice to make sure to make our moms feel special on the day that is dedicated to mothers, but what will be nicer is to treat her like it is always mother's day. Why wait for May when you can accomplish all the things above on her birthday or Christmas, or on an ordinary Tuesday? And I believe that how we spend mother’s day with our moms is not about where we can take them or what we can buy for them, it is still, always about the effort we exerted, and the thought that will count.

I would of course like to dedicate this entry to my mom, I love you to pieces, to inay Laki, to all my cousins who were all like mothers and sisters to me, to mommy Nolie who wasn’t only a mentor but also a mother to me, to my mommy Ron, mommy Min, and to all those who frowned upon my bad deeds and helped me become a slightly (haha!) better person. Me loves yoooo!

To all the moms all over the world, HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!

Spread the love! – A

No comments:

Post a Comment