Wednesday, May 8, 2013

J: SONGS FOR MUM

Are you a little short on budget? Well, as the older folks say, there's nothing sweeter than  being serenaded. So, why not serenade your mum this mother's day? Stage a little performance with your dad and siblings or if you're an only child like me, just let your dad tag along with the singing, maybe cooking breakfast for her and then serenade her after eating would be a nice idea. I've also done before a simple video with the compilation of our pictures and then a recorded audio of me singing!

Mums are sentimental, it's always the thought that counts ;) So I will list here some songs that may be perfect for serenading your mum on Mother's Day!


1. Ugoy ng Duyan (Lea Salonga)


This is a Filipino song. it's very mellow, like a lullabye. This is my first song choice because my mum always sings this to me when I was younger to put me to sleep. The melody is so soothing and calm. I find the message of this song really emotional, it's about a child longing for the hug of a mum; a child missing her mum and the warmth of her love as she rocks the her cradle when she was younger. It's that wishful thinking of just going back to that moment and stay there with her mum forever. And, don't we all wish that? To be with our mum forever to love and protect us? I know I do.

I may not be the sweetest daughter there is, but I try to always make it a point that I hug them atleast once a day just to let them feel my love, though I don't say it that much.

Favorite Line: "Sana'y 'di magmaliw ang dati kong araw, nang munti pang bata sa piling ni nanay. Nais kong maulit ang awit ni inang mahal, awit ng pag-ibig habang ako'y nasa duyan. At sa aking pagtulog na labis ang himbing. Ang bantay ko'y tala, ang tanod ko'y bituin. Sa piling ni nanay, langit ang buhay. Puso kong may dusa, sabik sa ugoy ng duyan." (How I wish that I could go back to my younger days with my mum and that it will never perish. I want to hear my mum's song again, a song of love as she rocks me in my cradle to sleep. And, as I sleep, the sky watches over me and my security are the stars. It's like heaven whenever I'm with my mum. My burdened heart is longing for her rocking my cradle as I sleep.)


2. Like My Mother Does (Lauren Alaina version)


I love this song so much! I have always been told that I look a lot like my mum when she was my age. Some of her classmates during her last HS Reunion even said that they thought I was my mum. Though, I always hate it when people say that I don't look like her daughter because I am a tall, voluptuous gal, I love it whenever they say that I resemble her so much. When I was younger, I was always told that I looked like my dad, which made me feel that I looked like a man (I was young, i'm slightly irrational) and that affected my confidence but when I started to enter my teenage years and I'm already receiving comments that I look like my mum, that's one of my happier days!

Let me just rant here a little: But, since I am a tall and fat girl, people always mistake us as sisters, heck! someone even said that I looked like her older sister and I was just a high school sophomore then! That was when I started to hate being told that we look like sisters, because to me that's saying that I look 20 years older than my age.

Anyway, of course I address this to my mum and she never fails to make me feel better about that. Just like what the song says our mums has their own way of talking that can make everybody feel good about themselves. This song is perfect for my mum and I, we never really had a perfect relationship but at the end of the day, she's still my mum and she always forgives and loves me no matter what! And, everything I am right now, I got it from her.

Favorite Line: "When I love, I give it all I got like my mother does. When I'm scared, I bow my head and pray like my mother does. When I feel weak and unpretty, I know I'm beautiful and strong because I see myself like my mother does"


3. I Promise (Stacie Orrico)


This song isn't really specifically for mums but when I first heard it, I can't think of nobody else but my mum. This song is really sweet, it's about every child's promise they make to their parents; to take care of them, to always be there for them, to hold their hands and make them strong. Every child makes this promise to their parents, some of us forgets about it as we grow older, we might even be very impatient towards them (so guilty of this), but then when the going gets tough, I just think how many times they could've given up on me when I was a child but they never did, never even crossed their minds. We tend to forget things as we grow older and live our own lives, but I think we should always be reminded the promises we made to our parent as a child and fulfill them while we still can.

Favorite Line: "Will I take tender care of you? Take your darkest night and make it bright for you? Will I be there to make you strong and to lean on? When this world has turned so cold, will I be the one that's there to hold? Will I be there when you call me in the middle of the night? Will I keep the rain from falling down into your life? I promise, I promise I will."


4. A Song for Mama (Boyz II Men)


This is for the guys to sing to their mamas! I guess it's just typically like that, the sons sings about their mamas while the daughters sings about their dads. But whether we're a daughter, a son or anything in between, we all feel the same way about our mums and that is what this song is all about, the title says it all; this is a song for mama. We should express our love for our mums, our parents, everyday! We've all watched the same scene over and over for too many times about children pleading for more time with their parents to show how much they love them. Let's not fall to that, let's always seize the moment; hug them while we still can, love them as much as we could while they can still feel it and still love you right back.

Anyway, this song's about nothing but love for our mums. Hence, the title. That's pretty much self explanatory, right?

Favorite Line: "Mama, you know I love you (you know I love you, Mama). Mama, you're the queen of my heart. Mama, just want you to know; loving you is like fruit to my soul."


5. Girl On Fire (Alicia Keys)


Every mum is a superhero, they all have super powers! They are the most patient, loving and understanding human that God has ever made. They are angels sent to Earth to guide their children so they would grow to be angels as well :) With our economy now, women aren't made to just stay at home anymore, women right know also work their asses off to earn and still manages to be a wife and a mum when they get home. If that woman doesn't have superpowers, then I don't know where the heck they pull that strength from. I would know about this, because this woman is my mum. I see her work everyday and still be a wife and mother the moment she steps in our home. She's the best!

Favorite line: "She's just a girl and she's on fire, hotter than a fantasy, lonely like a highway. She's living in a world and it's on fire. Filled with catastrophe, but she knows she can fly away
Ohhhh oh oh oh oh! She got both feet on the ground and she's burning it down. Ohhhh oh oh oh oh! She's got her head in the clouds and she's not backing down"



Yep! my mum is a girl, or better yet a woman, on fire! So let me take this time to dedicate this post and these songs to her. And let me just say that I love you very much!! Happy mother's day!


Spread the love and positivity!!

-J

No comments:

Post a Comment