Friday, September 13, 2013

A: No-brainer tips on how to show love when receiving "not-so-nice" gifts


Oookay, days of slacking off are over. We are back, lovelies!

So many things happened during our hiatus. Some of them are “blog-worthy”, and some are just a total waste of my laptop battery. And just to name a few; haze in Singapore, my cousin’s first time in the lion city, the boyfie celebrated his 27th, the second time I donated blood, ala-television-drama-show events in my previous flat (Haha! Ooh those cheap monkeys!).

BUT in line with wanting to start fresh after a 3-months-too-long-pause in wring blog entries, let’s begin with September, shall we?

13 September 2013. Oh sweet Friday the 13th. This day is pretty special to me, oh wait, let me reword that, this day is REALLY SPECIAL to me. Because shawty it's my birthday! I have waited 360+ days for this. Haha! So many things excite me about this day; my small celebration with very special people, my time of relaxation, going out with the boyfie, and of course, GIFTS! There is but one thing about celebrating my birthday that makes me worry: trying to not break the heart of people who give me gifts that I totally do not like.

So yes, this blog, I would say is partly about lying and partly about not wanting to break anyone’s heart. I cannot be the only one who dreads a situation like thi, right? Right? So in order to show that you appreciate the effort that one has exerted to get you something on your special day – may it be something you like or something you just really hate -, here are some tips:


1. Smile and say thank you.
Simple. We are all taught (well at least I hope we all were) that we should always say thank you when someone gives us something, and this kind gesture should not exclude those moments when the item you got is not something you like. No matter how big or small, cheap of expensive, pretty or ugly a gift is, you should smile and say thank you. This is a no-brainer. If you didn’t know this one until now, then there is a nice place for you in somewhere not in heaven. Haha!


2. Try the thing on or show it to someone and brag about it
If you are given something that you can wear, TRY IT ON. It will make the person feel that you are very happy about his/her gift. If the item is not something you can wear, then you can try to show it to someone, try bragging about it. At least make your giver feel that you are proud about the gift.


3. Give that person a hug
Hhmmm maybe this is not too "powerful", but it wouldn’t hurt to show appreciation through hugging. At least I think.


4. Post the item on Facebook/Instagram/Twitter or wherever multimedia site you prefer
For most of us, our lives are almost completely showcased in every social media site there is. And what a pleasant way to say thank you to someone but to have whatever gift you got be posted on your Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or whatever account.


5. Use the item and show the person
I think this really is the best way to say thank you. Okay, you don’t like the item, but it’s not like you would need to wear or use it everyday. One day wouldn’t hurt. If you have plans to see the person who gave you the item you just love to hate, then try USE/WEAR/BRING the item. We all know that we like seeing a gift actually being used by the person we gave it to.

Okay, so these things are the ones that I do (let me be honest) when my love for a person is way greater than my opinion on the item he/she got for me. But do note that these may also be the same things that other people do when they actually GENUINELY like a gift. These are very common steps anyway. So don’t immediately assume that someone is doing all these steps on the item you gave him/her because he/she didn’t like it. There’s a big chance that he/she may really like it. Who would really know, right?

_____

Okay, so let’s look at the other end of the table. What if someone important or special to you is going to celebrate his/her birthday, and you want to give him/her something. How do you make sure that you will buy him/her something she would love?

And no, no, no, don’t think that just because you are very close to a person, you would instantly know what gift to give her. Even my mom, best friend, or boyfriend feel like it’s always a hit or miss when buying gifts for me. And those people KNOW me. Like REALLY KNOW ME. So don’t take that kind of risk.

So what to do?

1-10. ASK
If you are close to the person you plan to give a gift to, then the tendencies are, that person will be honest with you with what he/she wants for his/her special day. And if you are really close, you can even tell him/her how much budget you really have for a gift. Just like how I am with my friends – I ask them how much money they are willing to spend on me before I tell them what gift they can buy for me. Because I am spoiled like that! 

If you plan to surprise someone, then find a “medium”. Find someone who can help you sniff out details. People who can help give answers to questions like: What does this person want for his/her birthday? What would make him/her really happy? What item would ensure that this person wouldn’t lie to my face about liking the gift?

Wow. This is quite an entry for such a tiny topic. But I hope I am not the only one out who feels that these are the steps needed to be done to avoid breaking someone’s heart when you don’t like his/her gift, and making sure you buy someone a gift he/she would like. Some silly tips from a non-expert. :D 

Is this entry plain evil or is it really about trying to be nice. You tell me.

Hope you, lovelies, have a very nice day whichever side of the world you are. And happy birthday to all who are celebrating their birthday today! Mwah!

P.S. This blog entry may need further editing. I will do so later. Right now I have to prep and enjoy my day. J



My super pretty "basket" of flowers from my friends in the US, Qatar, and the Philippines! Oh I looove them so! My first birthday surprise. :) And yes, I genuinely LOVE the gift! :)




Spread the love!
- A!



No comments:

Post a Comment