Monday, April 22, 2013

A: HOW I HAVE COME TO LOVE GAY PEOPLE


Mother earth  = MOM
Wiz                   = NONE/NO
Wit                   = I DON’T WANT / I DON’T LIKE
Corrected by   = RIGHT/AGREE
Yesterday        = YES

Don’t be confused, the words on the right really are the definitions of the words on the left. Well, at least in the (Filipino) gay lingo, they are. And I find that words like these, along with many others belonging in the gay lingo dictionary, just make talking to close friends a lot funnier. Especially when a trying-hard-gay-lingo-speaker like me does it. Haha!

One of the many things I am thankful for about being Filipino is that gay guys and girls in my country don’t need to hide their true gender preference (well at least most of them don't). Although there still are some uncalled for judging and criticisms here and there, compared with other places, gay guys and girls in my country can freely dress the way they want to, go out with whoever they choose to, and pursue the career they dream to have. Now before you all start thinking that I am writing this as a “coming out” entry, you are wrong. I am 100% straight (unless having a major girl crush on Youtube’s Chloe Morello is considered being gay), I just happen to always meet gay guys who later on would become important people in my life, and through the years, I’ve seen just how special they really are and why they should be treated like the normal human beings that they are.

Since the beginning of my adult life, I don’t know just how many gay guys have been a big part of who I am and how many have contributed to the crazy that I am now. Gay people, specifically gay guys are the best guy friends one can have, in my opinion. Why? Because though they may act like a girl, they can think like a guy, and can be strong as a straight guy. And that, to me, is a good equation to living a less complicated life.

I really wish I can go ahead and name names here. But sadly, I have some gay friends who still cannot leave their closets as they don’t want to hurt their parents’ feelings. And I totally understand that. However, I do know some ladies-at-heart who could care less about what other people say about their gayness. And for today’s entry, I’d like to share why I have come to trust, respect, and look up to gay people.

Gay people are talented
Entering college, I can say, was the biggest turn around of my life. It was then when I realized that I am no longer a “baby”, and that I either go hard or go home in my studies and extra-curricular activities. And because I wanted to become not only a student, but also a performer in college, I joined the cheerleading squad of the school. And there is where I met, the most talented gay person that has been part of my life; our coach.

He (well…she) was not only our teacher, he was a friend, a critic, a sister, and a mother to all of us. He opened my eyes to a different definition of belonging to the third sex. He erased the stereotypical thinking that I used to have; that gay guys are just good at putting make up on and doing other people’s hair. He proved to me that a person’s gender preference has got nothing to do with what he can be good at, and to who he can be. And I can say that I will never have the deep respect that I have now for gay people if it wasn’t for him. It was him who showed me how equality should look like, and how to take pride of who and what you are, how to show humility beyond your accomplishments, and why you shouldn’t let other people push you around.

Backstage for Ms. Earth 2007 production number with my coach, Joe Abuda



 
Gay people are funny
Now how many can totally honestly say that not once in their lives has a gay person made them laugh. I doubt there is going to be any. In Hollywood, we have Neil Patrick Harris (who is popularly know as Barney Stinson in the series How I Met Your Mother), Wanda Sykes (an Emmy award-winning stand-up comedienne), Ellen Degeneres (the host of her self-titled daily talk show and recipient of numerous People’s Choice Awards), and some local talents who magnet people to go to comedy bars and drive people to watch their TV shows; Allan K (born as Allan Quilantang; a singer, comedian, entrepreneur, and is part of the longest-running noontime show on Philippine television, Eat Bulaga), ate Gay (who is known for his great impersonation of the Philippine super star, Nora Aunor), Pooh (who was first known through his hilarious impersonation of Filipino pride, Manny Pacquiao), among many others.

And while there are some people who find Filipino humor in comedy clubs offensive, there are still those who enjoy some good laugh through the witty jokes and hilarious slapstick acts from our awesome gay stand up comedians.

Gay people look fabulous!
Let’s admit it, ladies, don’t we all just hate the fact that most handsome, witty, talented, and smart men are gay? Ugh! 
Photo source: 9gag.com

But I think it is innate in gay people, I think they have this hormone that just continuously tells them that they have to look gorgeous all the time. To name a few, we have:  
 


Photo source: www.mediabistro.com
Anderson Cooper (CNN’s Anderson Cooper 360°)




Photo source: www.goldderby.com


Ricky Martin (Livin La Vida Loca! Need I say more?)




Photo source: topnews.in

And showing some lesbian pride; Portia De Rossi (Australian model, writer, and wife of the hilarious Ellen Degeneres)


I love gay guys
Oh I miss them sooo much. I have made many good friends with many gay guys from college and from my previous work places. And through these friendships, I learned what gay people really are: THE SAME AS EVERYONE ELSE. Gay people are the same as straight girls and guys if not even more fun to be with, more sincere, and more real. The gay friends I have have stuck with me through whatever, and are still always there for me even with the distance we have right now. And I am really lucky and blessed to have them. Because of the gay people I have in my life, I became aware of another freedom I have; the freedom to be straight. Never has a gay person looked down on me because I like people of the opposite sex. And none of my friends has asked why I "became" straight. They just let me be straight, and I always return the favor.

Gay people make mistakes, they too have their fair share of people they have hurt and wrong decisions they have made, but those things don't define them as gay people, those define them as human, just like all of us. 

I am from a country where gay people can freely be gay, but, there are things that are still far from their reach, like being legally married to a person of the same sex. And while I wait for the day that my gay friends be given equal rights in my country, I will continue to be grateful that my life is just a lot more colorful because they are in it. So those who hate them may continue to just hate, but yes, the world will continue spinning, and they will continue being gay. Deal with it. 

Equality, Positivity, Love! - A! :)


2 comments: