Wednesday, April 10, 2013

J: Spring back to health | Maximize that gym membership

Before I say anything about this whole fitness month thing, let me just say that I will probably have a very hard time the whole time we’ll be doing this, but I’ll do my best to fight through that, just sayin’.

Since I’ve been back here in Doha, as always, we’ve been eating out every day and we always leave that restaurant super full, like our tummies will just go exploding anytime! And, what I’ve been eating is not healthy at all and that became really evident when I stepped on the weighing scale. See, I am a big advocate of loving your body in every size, embracing your true self, but I don’t promote obesity or being unhealthy. I have been obese for a very long time now and it’s really not healthy, I have been diagnosed with borderline Type II Diabetes before and I snapped out of it when I lost weight, fortunately.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I immediately enrolled in a weight management center in the Philippines, I had a dietitian, personal instructor, weight management doctor, the works! And I lost almost 100lbs. without starving or depriving myself, I went from 280lbs to 180lbs. I was in a better shape back then, I eat whatever I wanted in moderation and I also give my body some good sweat by working out atleast 3-5 times a week. But then I got too comfortable and before I know it, I gained back my weight! And now, I am really frightened that my diabetes would go back as well.

So, even though this month would be really tough and I would need all the will power and strength that I could muster, I will really take this seriously.

Maximize that GYM MEMBERSHIP


So, I’ve been a member of Fitness First here in Doha and I haven’t been there for ages! So my mom’s paying this gym fees all for nothing. This time I am planning to maximize that gym fee. I don’t have a personal trainer, but that’s okay! They have those ‘red shirt’ (free assistance) people anyway.

THE WORKOUT PLAN


So, I am currently in between jobs right now and I am still waiting for feedbacks from all job applications, so technically, I have all the time in the world. The first thing that I would need to do is to develop a healthy sleeping habit. Lately I’ll be up until 4am and then sleep until 12nn, which makes my days very unproductive! So, beginning this month, I’ll set a bedtime, around 11pm, and wake up at 7am. And, before doing anything, I’ll fix my bed! Because you know what they say; ‘The state of your bed is the state of your head!’

 And like what bebi A said, I think it will be much better to work out in the morning. So, here’s my planned workout timeframe.

7AM – Wakeup, fix my bed and prepare to go to the gym, eat a light meal
8AM – Hitch with my mom and let her drop me off the gym (which is on the way going to her office)
8:30AM - Arrive at the gym!
·         1 hr. Cardio (Treadmill and Cross trainer)
·         30 min. free weights (I would still need to consult the red shirt people in the gym for a routine, I’ll update this once I get to talk to them.)
·         15 min. cool down (treadmill)
*If available, join group exercises
·         5 min. Sauna bath
10:20AM – Shower at the gym, then go home
11AM – Eat breakfast

I will do this every other day for two weeks and gradually ease in to 5times a week.

Slowly, but surely.

THE MEAL PLAN


Light Meal (before going to the gym) – Egg sandwich, fresh fruit cocktail and green tea juice
Breakfast – Salad, pasta/tuna sandwich/slice of pizza, hot cup of tea
Lunch – chicken and bread/half cup of rice
Snack – Fresh fruit cocktail
Dinner – Salad, green tea juice
Before sleeping – Hot cup of tea
*of course I am setting my weekend as cheat days! One indulgent food per day J

INSIDE MY GYM BAG:


Rubbershoes (Nike+ Free Run 2/Nike Dual Fusion)

Allow me to explain this rubbershoes indulgence, I originally only have the Nike+ Free Run 2, but when we flew out to Doha, I left it under my bed in our house in the Philippines. It’s really a bummer because I also have my Nike+ chip in the shoes already. So, even if I buy a new Nike+ shoes, it will be useless unless I buy another chip. With that said, It is being shipped to Doha now, but I still need to have something to use going to the gym while the other one is still in transit. And that’s when I bought this Nike Dual Fusion rubbershoes, I have to say it’s not as comfortable as the other one but I can make do with it. And, besides maybe it just needs some breaking in time.

Socks

I'm such a Nike girl, but ironically I have Adidas socks because I can't find Nike socks like these. LOL.

Of course, a pair of socks should be a staple for a more comfortable and no-stink workout. Because I have to admit that maybe because of my weight or hormones I already have a sweat issue on a normal day, and it turns extreme when working out! So, I avoid the stinking feet in the locker room by bringing a pair of socks!

Water Bottle


As a member of fitness first, along with the kit they provide is a plastic water bottle. It comes very handy, especially because I like bringing my own green tea juice with it.

iPhone & earphones
For great music to keep me going and to provide that ‘Let’s do this!!’ vibe. Also for when my Nike+ shoes arrive, so I could use Nike’s app to record my running details; such as the distance, heart rate, calories burned, etc.
Scrungees (for my messy hair)
Toiletries
Extra set of Clothes

THE GOAL


Current weight: 109kgs.
Target weight by the end of April: 90kgs.


I know this is a long shot! But, I am planning to shed off around 2kgs per week. This may be too much, but you see, it’s all about will power and if I don’t hit my target as long as I shed off some weight and I feel good about my health, then I will be alright ;)

This month isn’t really about the aesthetic effect but mainly for health reasons. The external body effect is just like the whipped cream on my frappe! It’s just a good plus for trying to live healthier.

I’ve already done this before, and I can do it again now!!

Love your body!! Spread the love and positivity!!
-J

No comments:

Post a Comment