Friday, March 8, 2013

A&J: Boys and girls, we present, THE ULTIMATE LIST OF MUST-HAVES!


You see something in the supermarket, you know you may need it but you still think twice about buying, you then leave the place without it. The following day, you find yourself in need of the product you thought twice of buying, but now, there isn't anywhere you can go to purchase one. Don’t you just hate those moments?

Sometimes, taking a visit on the health and beauty section of department stores wouldn’t hurt, and yes, we’re also talking to you, boys. Sometimes those things that we should have in our shopping baskets are the ones that go unnoticed.  

We’d like to share with you the things we make sure we always have at our dressers and in our purses. Products we use/apply before leaving the house, and things we carry around with us. Aside from the usual shampoo, conditioner, toothbrush toothpaste, and bringing our wallets, mobile phone, IDs with us, here are our other must-haves.


Bebi A's 5 Purse Must-Haves

There are things that I think one should always have ready, either on his/her car or purse. These are very easy-to-find and very affordable things that will never be useless once you get to know them.

1. Wet tissue / Facial tissue

No matter how careful we are, there will always be times when we will get our hands on something gross or we will have something dirty accidentally stick to us.And while wash rooms can be found available on many places, there can be chances when we will be left without an option to wash the nasty dirt off with water. And at times like those when wet tissues or facial tissues can come to your rescue.

I personally think that everyone should have wet tissues or facial tissues readily available for use. And this is regardless of the gender. These things are not only helpful whenever nature calls, you can also use them on your face to freshen up after walking under very humid weather condition, on wiping dirt off your mouth, keeping your hands clean, and the list goes on. Let us let experience tell you what kind of scenarios wet and facial tissues can be used on.

I do not have personal favorites when it comes to wet and facial tissues, but I  have been using these kinds. I find the packaging very cute, so I always just go for it (and they’re very affordable), plus the wet tissues in the purple packaging have a light hint of lavender, and that smells really nice.


2. Breath freshener

Bad breath is a total turn off. We all know that. And although we all (I really hope) spend ample time going up and down and in circles with our toothbrushes while dealing with our teeth, it cannot guarantee that we will have fresh breath the entire day. Eating and not eating can both cause bad breath. When you don’t eat, the gases from our stomach will escape from our body through the mouth (that is the explanation that I know, if I’m wrong, please feel free to correct me on the comment box below), and that can cause bad breath. With eating, and I think all of us already know this, depending on the food that you ate, your breath can smell Mexican, Italian, American, and if you’re even luckier, you’ll have that garlic breath scent. 

You’re lucky if you have a place where you can whip out your toothbrush and toothpaste and eliminate the bad smell in your mouth by brushing your teeth, or if you have a place where you can use your mouth wash to gargle. But for worse scenarios when you want fresh breath and you don’t have a place to brush your teeth or gargle, then mints can help do the trick.

My work dictates for me to either be in the office or in the field for some training. I am lucky because most times, I am able to have some teeth-loving time after lunch in the office, but during days when training are scheduled one after the other, then I go for the aid of my mints.

I always carry Clorets Actizol Plus Cool Mint Tablets. I personally like this one because its cool effect is felt until the tiniest bit of mint. It keeps your breath smelling minty for a sensible amount of time.

NOTE: There is a difference between fresh teeth and clean mouth. Mints are not a replacement for brushing our teeth.


3. Loose change

Have you ever had those days when you just wanted to buy something but it can’t be sold to you because the money you're using to pay is just a single bill and is of a big amount? I hate those moments too. And it’s because of those moments that I have learned that it is important to always have coins and bills of smaller amounts in your wallet.

If you’re in the Philippines, then it is likely that you will not be able to purchase an item worth Php15 with your Php500 bill. You will get that strange look from the person at the counter. Haha! And if you’re in Singapore, then you can say goodbye to your $2 or $5 when you left your EZlink card (the card we use to pay for public transpo) at home because the machines in buses wouldn’t give you change.

I like putting my $1 in my piggy bank, but I still always make sure I have at least three $3 coins plus couple more coins of smaller value in my wallet, and of course some bills.


4. Portable charger

Gone are the days when the only “features” a phone has is the ability to connect to another person through call or text messaging. Now we can watch movies, listen to music, take photos, play games, read e-books, among many others through these small pieces of technology. And although we are all thankful that we can now do all those things with the use of a small gadget, we all dread to see a red mark on our phone battery. We all have, one time or another, made a sad sigh upon seeing the low battery symbol on our phone. And that is not a good icon on our phone especially when our day is just starting or when we have to make or are waiting for some important phone calls or text messages.

All the worrying can end, and we can all say goodbye to phones with drained batteries, thanks to portable chargers. A portable charger, for me, is a life saver. I had found myself worrying about my phone’s battery life way too many times, until I got tired of trying to find a free phone charging area in all kinds of places.


I have the Sony Cycle Energy portable charger in black. I like it because it’s light, and it’s not bulky, so I can fit it in a small purse that I put in my bag. Although this portable charger can only charge my phone another 100% battery life before the charger drains its own battery life, I still find it helpful. I carry my portable charge fully charged, and I make sure I charge it (using my laptop) at home after I have used it.


5. And for my girls, our holy grail; makeup kit

I don’t think I need to even type anything on here. It’s already understood. I cannot even begin to describe how I used to panic whenever I would forget my makeup kit at home. There was even a time when I was already in school when I realized that I forgot my kit. My school is roughly an hour and fifteen minutes away from my home, and you think that stopped me? Hell no. I went back home, took my kit, and traveled back to school. It was THAT important. Hahaha! I don’t panic so much anymore, but I do get sad when I forget to put my lipstick or pressed powder in my kit. When my things aren't complete, I feel a like I’m half-naked.


In my kikay kit are the basics. If you can carry your makeup brushes and palettes around, then good for you. I, however, prefer a smaller bag. I have my compact powder from The Body Shop in shade no. 04. I apply a very thin layer of this one, and it’s always enough for that fresh and natural look. For my cheeks, I sometimes use this Clinique color surge eye shadow duo and blushing powder, in twilight mauve / braided plum and smoldering plum shades respectively. Another essential item in my kit is my lip balm; The Body Shop Vitamin E Lip Care SPF15, which I love so much because it’s not sticky, and really moisturizes your skin. I've tested this in autumn/winter weather, and it helped me not have chapped lips. ;) And of course my two lipsticks, NYC Ultra Moist Lipwear in Retro Red shade, and Revlon Colorstay Ultimate Suade lipstick in Couture. Both lipsticks are red shade, but what can I say, that's how I like 'em! And last but not the least is my eyebrow pencil, which is from a local brand; Ever Bilena Original in brown shade, I definitely cannot leave the house without it.

Bebi J's 5 Dresser Must-Haves

I have to admit I have a lot going on in my dresser. It’s filled with so many different things from my toner and moisturizer to my makeup palettes, brushes, and scrungees! This list can go on forever. Well, not forever because I have my 5 key things that my dresser can never be without (in terms of makeup and skin care)! These are the things that girls (and also boys) must have, never mind if you ran out of the other stuff, but these 5 you must stock up!


1. Sunscreen (Coppertone Sunscreen SPF50/VMV Hypoallergenics’ Armada Face Cover 30)

Sunscreen is the key to escape those nasty chapped skin and early guesting of your wrinkles!! I use the Coppertone Sunscreen as a lotion for my body. It’s not sticky at all! In fact, the skin absorbs it very well and quick too. Sunscreen basically has the same elements a lotion does, so weigh which one you need more, sunscreen or lotion? It’s really useless to double up the coverage because the other one will just absorb the other and will just reduce the SPF, hence useless.

For my face, I use the Armada one but only when I won’t use a foundation or a BB cream with an SPF on it. Because using it with a foundation that has an SPF will just pack on the heat in your face resulting to a quicker makeup meltdown and besides just like what I said earlier, it’s useless to have two products that both have an SPF.

The Coppertone Sunscreen SPF50 costs Php450/tube and the Armada Face Cover costs Php1,350/tube.

2. Moisturizer (L’oreal Hydrafresh)

Okay, people! You must know that the secret behind anyone with that glowing, beautiful skin is MOISTURIZER! This must be everyone's mantra: Cleanse, Tone, Moisturize! Moisturize! Moisturize! We need this to maintain or atleast prolong our skin’s elasticity to prevent it from the early star appearance of wrinkles! So we must choose our moisturizers wisely, like our lives depend on it!

And, I just simply adore this moisturizer! It’s specially designed for people with oily skin and God (sorry for using God, but that’s just to emphasize) knows I have a very oily skin. What’s so nice about it is that it’s in a gel form, thus, faster absorption and lighter application, it also cools the face when applied. It’s really refreshing and highly effective as well.

Each jar of L’oreal HydraFresh cost Php395.

3. Perfume (Annick Goutal Petit Cherie/Clinique Happy Heart/DKNY Be Delicious)

This should be a staple on anyone's dresser! It doesn't matter if you're a boy, girl, bakla, tomboy. LOL. One must always have a perfume or atleast a cologne. I don't think I need to justify this one so I'll just share my top3 signature scents. I interchange them by week! Hehe. This is where the girly bit starts so boys, look away! Or if you're thinking of getting you girlfriend or wife a perfume, here are some suggestions:


First one is my Annick Goutal Petit Cherie Eau de Parfum. Fancy!! That's why I rarely use it. I use it on special occassions and stuff. It smells lovely. It has that subtle scent of flowers and citrus in perfect harmony! This one's kinda pricey but my mom got it for me in Doha at around QR450 and I found it here in the Philippines at Rustan's Makati, they sell it at around Php6000.


Second is the Clinique Happy Heart, I bought it from Doha as well. Clinique Happy Heart may not be as famous as it's predecessor, Clinique Happy, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't smell as good. I love it so much. I got it for QAR300 (Php3300)


The last one has been my perfume since my college days, DKNY Be Delicious Green Apple! It's citrus-y but not too strong that it stings your nose. Out of the 3, I can say this one really is my signature scent, just because I've been using it the longest plus the bottle is cut as well! ;)


4. Deodorant (J. Thomas No Sweat Deo-Spray)

I can't emphasize enough how this should be present at all times, especially if you're aware that you sweat a lot, as I admittedly am!! Sweaty armpits can cause bad odor and bad odor can cause major inconvenience and annoyance to the person beside you or, worst, AROUND YOU! Haha. So, please always put on a deodorant. This is a Public Service Announcement, really! Haha.

I just recently found out about this J. Thomas deo-spray and I am telling you it does wonders to your armpits hehe. I noticed minimal sweating in that area the moment I started using it.

5. Qtips a.k.a Cotton Buds

Cotton buds is mainly used to clean your ears or nose, but did you know that if you're a woman struggling with those nasty mascara getting into your eyelids, qtips can be you BFF? You can use it to wipe away those mascara transfer from your eyelids or you can put the qtip against your lid before putting on the mascara to prevent smudges.





These are our top 5 list of must-haves, if you also have the same list, but have a different kind of use for them, please feel free to share it with us on the comment box below. Or if you think we left out some other essential stuff or have your own must-have list, we would love to know what they are! :)



Happpppinesss! - J and A

No comments:

Post a Comment