Monday, March 25, 2013

A: What I LOOOOOOVE about Singapore


Singapore is known to be a "fine" city, and while it is true that there are a lot of rules that you will be fined on if disobeyed, once you get to stay here, you would understand how and why it is after all, really a FINE city. No pun intended.

It was more than two years ago when my boyfriend and I first came to SG for a 4-day vacation. Boy did we love what we saw from the time we stepped out of the plane! There were three things that amazed me/us the most about the country: it's clean, it's organized, and it's safe. And these things, alongside many other aspects, made deciding to come back here to try to find a job a lot easier. Now, it has been more than a year since I started working here, but Singapore still surprises me with the beauty it can offer. This country is truly one of those places you should not miss to visit, and here are just some of the many reasons why I say so:


DON'T WORRY, BE CLASSY

If you like sporting out your pricy gadgets, expensive blings, and designer items without worrying about someone trying to steal them from you, then Singapore is the place to be.

Have you ever seen anyone reserve a table in a food centre by leaving her Louis Vuitton bag on top of it? That is what I call, reserving a table Singapore style. I really love the fact that I can be carrying around a zipper-less bag and still not worry that someone may try to stick his hands inside and take something important from my bag. And though the government is still advising everyone to be vigilant as crimes can and sometimes do happen, the security that I feel while in this country is just incomparable.

Carry your gadgets anywhere, anytime, and not worry about anything!!! (Special thanks to my friend who didn't think twice about modelling for me, Nikki Shayne Del Rosario! Ü)


ONE CARD TO RULE THEM ALL

I hate needing to make sure I have exact amount of money to pay for transpo, and that is why I am thankful for Singapore's EZ-Link card! I can take buses, trains, and cabs, and not worry about how much loose change I have. All I need is one swipe of the card! How convenient is that?!

Singapore’s EZ-link card makes travelling hassle-free. Passengers just need to tap the card on what I will call as the "EZ-link machine" and fare will be automatically deducted. And if you’re already running low on credit, you will know right away because the machines will show you how much money you have in your card every time you alight a bus or exit a train station. Train stations have loading stations for the card, all you need is to “top-up” and you’re good to go!




PARK HERE, PARK THERE, PARKS EVERYWHERE

Singapore, as I would quickly describe it, is a country filled with nice buildings. And though it cannot offer you mountains for some trekking activities or beaches for your summer getaways, it can give you nicely landscaped parks good for jogging, walking, cycling, roller blading, and other activities that require clean and even roads.

To name a few, there is Punggol Waterway Park, Punggol Park, and Bishan Ang Mo Kio Park. These parks are the ones we usually visit to enjoy some outdoor physical exercises. I learned how to turn left and right on my bike while cycling in Punggol Park, my first bike accident happened in Punggol Waterway Park (the park is not to blame, I was not using my head. Haha!), and my first laser tag experience was in Bishan Ang Mo Kio Park. 


TO THE LEFT, TO THE LEFT

Have you experienced running late for a meet up or for work and you got on an escalator and you had to weave through people to get to reach your floor? Too much of a hassle and can easily ruin a good mood, right? Well, not here in Singapore. Singapore takes the “keep left” phrase seriously. You can observe that while walking on the streets, through the cars on the road, and even in escalators. And it makes reaching your destination a lot easier. The usual sight in malls would be people getting on an escalator and going for the left side and keeping the right side vacant for people who prefer to walk up or down the escalator. 



SOOO CLEAN

Again, let me say, I am so amazed as to how clean this country is. I enjoy looking at people here as they try to find the nearest trash bin for their small pieces of litter. It's priceless to see how they are concerned in keeping their environment clean that they will make an effort to put where garbage is supposed to be. And though there are a lot of street sweepers in Singapore, it is evident that Singaporeans and other people living here have that respect for their surrounding. If you’re lucky, you will be scolded by a local if you get caught littering, and you’d deserve that.

MEGASTRUCTURES! C'MON!

A boat-shaped structure on top of three buildings aka Marina Bay Sands. Now that's something you don’t see everyday. Come to Singapore and see extraordinary infrastructures. The Merlion, the durian-shaped Esplanade Convention Centre, the flower-shaped museum, and who knows what else they will build in the future. These buildings are so nice we make sure every loved one who comes here for a visit will have a photo taken with those landmarks in the background.
Photo sources: www.atlantis-lodge.com, upload.wikimedia.org, www.inhabitat.com, www.zdistrict.com

RESERVED

Now though Singapore is a fast-paced country, it takes its time to make sure people who should be given more priority are always taken into consideration. Buses, trains, and even pedestrian crossings, have given priority to the elderly, kids, pregnant women, and the disabled. I personally love the sensor they attached on top of the button you press for crossing the road. The sensor they attached is for the elderly to tap their EZ-link cards (for the elderly) on to get longer crossing time. Reserved seats for the elderly, pregnant, and disabled are plenty in trains and buses as well. People usually avoid sitting on those seats even when there are no any elderly people or pregnant women around.


Singapore may be a small country, but it has a huge and colorful history behind it. And it being a melting pot of many cultures and races makes visiting the country and meeting its people a lot more interesting. 

Spread some Singapore-lovin!


- A! :)


2 comments:

  1. With this article you made me to wanna go and visit Singapore. While I was reading feels like I was there. Good job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Your comment made my day! Singapore is really a nice place. Hope you get to visit sometime soon!

      I did visit your site as well, and it seems to me you are into travelling. My best friend is publishing an article about Doha, Qatar on Wednesday, and we will share what we love about the Philippines on Friday! Hope you enjoy our future entries, Anca! - Aura :)

      Delete