Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A: Women's week special: Talk about GIRL POWER! The women I look up to.


Remember those days when women did not have the right to vote, to study, and basically to have a promising future? Boy did we kick that period in the a$$ or what?! Women have stood up for countries, for religion, for their beliefs, and slowly, have shown to the world that we all have voices that should be heard.

There are a lot of women who made big differences in the world, and most of them did not only make a mark in history, but more importantly, in the hearts of many. I have women I look up to whose footsteps I’d like to follow. And in celebration of Women’s month, I’d like to share how these feisty ladies help me believe that I too, can be anything I want to be.


Lea Salonga

Photo source: www.broadway.com
Photo source: newsviewintl.blogspot.sg
Lea Salonga is a pure-Filipina actress/singer/endorser who made her mark in the world through her roles in stage plays like Miss Saigon, Les Miserables, her voice in Disney movies Mulan and Aladdin, and many other appearances on TV, movies, magazines, and the list goes on and on. She was, during her teen years, part of the entertainment show, “That’s Entertainment”, and has been one of the really talented inclusions in the Philippine showbiz industry. She since then has not stopped appearing on TV, the big screen, and on stage plays. She, with the use of her voice, has captured the hearts of people all over the world.Now you hear the name Lea Salonga and you immediately associate it with “powerful voice”. 

I look at Lea and see a person who was determined to make a mark in the world, and she made sure she did. She makes me believe that it doesn't matter what your nationality is, if you have what it takes, then you have to keep your mind focused and reach for your dreams.  Plus, isn’t she just a really pretty face? I remember scanning through the pages of my mom’s Avon brochure just looking at their beautiful endorser; Lea.


Wanda Sykes

Photo source: www.thetvaddict.com
Photo source: www.exposay.com
Aside from being hilarious, Wanda is known to be someone who strongly stands up for gay rights. I’ve seen two kinds of videos of Wanda Sykes, one is with her standing on stage, making people laugh with her witty jokes, and the other one is standing on stage, making people happy because she’s standing up for what she believes is right. For someone like me who believes that I should stand up for what I strongly believe in, getting to witness how famous people like herself do the same is a big encouragement.

I remember on one of her stand up acts, she shared that she shops at Target, and when a person from the audience asked her why a celebrity like her goes there,  she dropped this, "I'm a celebrity, but I'm not a dumb celebrity, ". I found her answer really funny, and at the same time it reflects simplicity. She, on my opinion, is one of the funniest stand up comediennes there is, and yet, she remains to be down to earth. She also loves to inject a piece of her personal life in her acts, and through them, laughing at my own flaws and mistakes is a lot easier.


Ellen DeGeneres

Photo source: www.justjared.com
Photo source: www.dailymail.co.uk
She’s gay. So what? She’s fun, hip, and she loves to share her blessings to people. She did not only help raise even more the already raised women flag, she went ahead and raised the gay flag with it. If there is something I learned from her, it’s that you shouldn't care about how people will perceive you, the goodness of your intentions will always shine brighter than all the negativity people will throw at you. Now isn't her show just one of the highest ranking shows of its kind?

She showed the world that your gender preference has nothing to do with who you are and who you can be as a person. And I just adore her even more when she lets people take a glimpse of her personal life by sharing her life events with her wife, Portia De Rossi.


Oprah Winfrey

Photo source: www.stylishthought.com
Photo source: www.blog.zap2it.com
When Oprah talks, everybody listens. She has this charisma that I think works towards almost everyone. I look at her and I see a person who is kicking racial discrimination one butt cheek at a time. It was never an easy road for Oprah as well. She’s from a poor family, and she had to work at an early age. But these things didn't stop her. Now we all know her as that person who doesn't only handle great interviews, doesn't only help boost the morale and confidence of her viewers through the positivity she promotes, she is that person who doesn't hesitate to share her blessings. “You’re getting one, you’re getting one, everybody’s getting one,” is her most famous line during my most favorite episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show; Oprah’s favorite things.

It seems as if she feels that it's part of her duty to help raise the spirits of every woman in the world, especially those women of color, and those who have gone through different kinds of hell in their lives. And that intention alone makes her a blessing to everyone.

Her drive and her positivity makes me believe, that if she can do it, I can do it too. Because of her, the fire inside me and the hope that I can be anything I want to be has not died.

Lynn Dipasupil

 Isn't she lovely? :)
Hahahahaha!
Love her!

I bet you haven’t heard of her name, I bet you have not seen any of her photos, I bet you have not heard of any movie she starred in, and that is because she’s not a celebrity, not a talk show host, not a singer. She is my mom.

I think it is evident through my previous entries that my mom is a single mom, and I am her only child. She is a very strong person, and whoever I am today, is because of her. She was there when I said my first words, and is always there when I talk my heart out, she helped me make my first steps, and is always there to support every step I make in life, she heard my first cry, and is always there when I pour tears of sadness, she loved me since day one, and now, I know the meaning of love.

Because of her, I know that being alone is not the same with as being lonely. Because of her I know that people can come and go in your life, and when people choose to leave you, it doesn't mean you stop living. Because of her, I know the meaning of sacrifice, and I know why there are people you are willing to sacrifice your own happiness for. Because of her, I know that there is nothing wrong with living a simple life. Because of her, I know that when someone gets mad at you and points out to you your mistakes, then you should be thankful because you are loved. Because of her, I know how to take care of myself. Because of her, I know the importance of knowing when you should be independent and when you should ask for guidance. Because of her, I believe in my One and Only Savior.

Inside my mom’s small physique is a big strong woman whose courage, devotion, and love is overflowing. And she continues to inspire me to become who I want to be.

It's neither our height nor our body size, not the color of our skin, and more importantly not our gender that can dictate the things that we can and cannot do. We all just need to have a dream,  to have the heart to reach for the dream, to get some push from people we love, and encouragement from people who have proved the world that no obstacle can be big enough to stop someone whose heart is burning with willpower. 

I salute all the women who are making marks in the world by giving helping hands, saving lives, protecting their countries, loving their kids, and being the strong person that they are.


Spread the positivity! :)

- A  

No comments:

Post a Comment