Monday, March 4, 2013

J: Women's Week Special: My Curvy Body Image Warriors

Being the fat girl in the playground, the chubby high school student, and the voluptuous kolehiyala, I absolutely know a thing or two about how the public’s perception of "normal" can unnecessarily alter the character and self-esteem of a person. We have to be honest that subconsciously most people think that it is a little bit harder for fat people. And, that is where they’re wrong, because we have our own way of doing things, it may be a bit different from what the status quo considers normal, but that doesn’t mean that it is harder or wrong. Because of this so called “norm”, I became a child who always sought for the approval of others, that chubby high school student who always starved herself to be accepted and recognized in school. And that is never good nor healthy because we should not forget that what we see on the outside should never overpower the purity and the goodness we have inside. We should not change who we are to be accepted.

I did not overcome all of these struggles alone, I am very lucky to have very supportive parents who never failed to make me feel that I am loved. But sadly, when I was a teenage, that didn't just seem to be enough. I sought for something else which will validate me in a larger scale and that is when I found these role models. I hope that I can inspire you the same way they inspired me.



Stacy and Danah Gutierrez a.k.a Plumpinay, Bloggers

source: http://facebook.com/theplumpinay


The Plump Revolutionaries in the Philippines!

I never knew such revolution, if I may indulge, existed until I stumbled upon an article in a newspaper about these twin sisters blogging about plus size body love in the Philippines. I knew I’m going to love their blog immediately and I definitely did! Through them I have come to begin to love my body. It’s nice to have a role model, it’s nice to have someone to look for as an inspiration in a pool of model-esque, super fair, and super thin famous people in magazines and other forms of media. They have even launched a plus size swimwear with “I Love Koi”. They’re really ruling this positivity battle! They made me realize that it’s not about being thin or being fat, their cause is about being self-assured and being healthy. That acceptance and love is not just for what the society perceives as beautiful, women of all sizes and form deserve to be loved and accepted, flaws and all.


An inspiring poster made by Stacy Gutierrez:

source: www.plumpinay.com




Tess Munster, Plus Size Model

source: http://instagram.com/effyourbeautystandards


She is the founder of “effyourbeautystandards”; I guess no further explanation is needed for that! ;)

I found Tess Munster through the Plumpinay Facebook page and I am so glad that I did! She is doing what she loves to do, to model; it just so happened that she’s a curvy lady as well. And, that is what I really aim for, to be able to do what I love. And she doesn’t give any “eff” to what the status quo said that curvy women can and cannot wear or do. She defied all of them and she’s inspiring ladies all around the world while doing so. The point is no hindrance or no one should ever stop you from pursuing your dreams. And that, to me, is what Tess Munster embodies.




Adele, Grammy Award-Winning Singer

source: Google Images

 I know Adele as an incredible singer and an outspoken role model. She’s had her own share of ups and downs because of her weight *Ahem! Karl Lagerfeld! Ahem!* but she just shrugs it off and said this; 'I represent the majority of women and I'm very proud of that' and I do believe that that’s all there is to it, really. All of us have insecurities but don’t let a single negative comment backtrack everything that we have already achieved. And, besides she also said that she does music not for the eyes but for the ears and she is definitely nailing it in that area. Her voice is divine and that’s all that matters. Body size should never outshine talent.



Kat Dennings, Hollywood TV Comedienne (2 Broke Girls)

source: Google Images



Kat Dennings or Max from the hit TV show “2 Broke Girls” is very outspoken and proud of her curves. She’s very funny, witty and sultry. She’s not a size zero but she can look sultry and sexy just the way she is. Sexy is not measured by the dress a woman wears, sexiness is how a person feels inside and it will radiate in the eyes or body language, no matter if you’re skinny or fat. If you feel sexy inside, it will radiate on the outside, and that is what Kat Dennings is doing. Even her role in her series is very relatable. Her character, Max, is an average American woman leading a very colourful and not so easy life. She faces every struggle with wit and humour and she gets out of them each time. She may have never been categorized as skinny but she will always look sexy with that personality. And that is what every lady should realize, as long as you keep your body healthy, no matter what size you are, you can be sexy! Never ever starve yourself to lose weight or eat too much that it could already cause harm, everything should be done in moderation.




Jordin Sparks, American Idol Winner

source: Google Images



Jordin Sparks is a very talented singer and she just recently lost 50 lbs. within 18 months. It may seem drastic but she shared that her weight loss secret was putting priority on her health and not her jeans size. She also said that she never felt like she was suffering in eating less and exercising more, also she found an exercise she enjoys doing for her to stick to it. See, she never complained about her weight but she decided to lose it for herself and for her health. She really serves as an inspiration when she stepped out with her new body; she looked really good because she did it in a healthy and natural way. She inspires people in many ways, she mainly inspired me through her music with songs like “Faith” and “God loves ugly”, I am always lifted and these songs really hit me hard and really inspire me and put music to my soul.

Here are the songs: 

God loves ugly

“You said that I wasn't pretty,
So I just believed you
And you said that I wasn't special, so I lived that way
With critical gazes and brutal amazement
And how my reflection could be so imperfect
With all of my blemishes, how could somebody want me?
But God loves ugly
He doesn't see the way I see
Oh God takes ugly
And turns it into to something that is beautiful
Apparently I'm beautiful
Cause You love me”






Faith

“Cause when the sky's the darkest, you can see the stars.
And when you fall the hardest, you find how strong you are
Close your eyes, rest awhile, It’s been a long, long day
So come on, baby, baby,
Have A Little Faith ”









To wrap it all up, I guess the sole message that I want to send across here is that no matter what size we are in, the main point is that we stay healthy. Never starve our body, eat whenever we feel hungry and exercise enough to strengthen the body. Everyone is beautiful in our own way, and everyone should learn to accept and love whatever size or form they come in, because we must learn to love ourselves first, before we can give out love and receive love ;)

Keep healthy and always be kind to yourself!


-J

2 comments:

  1. Trying hard and a BIG phony!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for taking time to read this blog entry. We are open for your comments, suggestions, and yes, even violent reactions. Please feel free to visit our blog page anytime for other entries! :)

      Delete